Saturday, January 31, 2009

Here is how this project came about!

I emailed my Father in law about why he decided to make this particular model of Henry Fords cars. Here is his reply:

I have been trying to do some kind of a project with Gary thru the years but it seems that some how, it was not to be, something came in the way. When you were in Boise I thought that I could encourage Gary to do this project with me. I looked forward to doing this but with the Mission and all that happened it kind of fell by the way side.

I dreamed of getting the travelers done and driving it to Alaska, but that probably has gone by the way side also.

I have thoroughly enjoyed spending many hours researching the information as how to put this together and trying to figure out how to put a trailor hitch and spare tire mount on so little a place and still make it look some what original; all this so I would not have to have the tire on the fender, because it is very hard for me to get into the cars with the side mount spare.

I put a great deal of extra's on this car so it could be used for long distance travel, maybe to Alaska or to the Regional Conventions. B motor, 56 steering gear, 12 volt battery, over drive, trailor hitch so I could pull a small trailor, heavy springs, powder coat all the metal serfices, windows to help keep out the cold wind.

I told Gary maybe he could have Chad work with him because he likes to work with wood, and in some way make up for what I am not able to do.

With seeing it in the warm room when the men came out to work on their cars and the crash, there is a lot of interest in the club to see the car done and have it in some of the parades.

*Editor side note...I know all those extra's sound cool, I am not exactly positive about some of them, although I understand the windows to keep out the cold wind. I apologize to my father-in-law right now if I get something wrong, I am not intentionally doing that just will be by my lack of understanding. I hope this car with spirit will someday be in parades. It certainly has made a stir. I love seeing it in the garage and smelling it's smell (Okay that might be a little weird but true.) The smell reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on it.
This will be a 1929 Travelers, with the above extras and changes.
Also I am Glen's daughter in law, my husband his middle son, is Gary. I think for sake of this blog I will refer to him/them as Grandpa and Grandma. I think some of his club members are following the progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment