Sunday, April 19, 2009

Got Refrigerator?

I know this doesn't look like your typical Sears Kenmore, you may have to use your imagination. It will however, resemble an antique icebox when finished. This 1929 Travelers was designed by Mr. Ford to be a RV, you know like a motorhome. It had many modern (for the time) conveniences, one being an icebox and two a bed....I think there are a few others, I will keep you posted on that! Here is the beginning of the "icebox". It will be constructed to use for storage, but it will have the stainless steel tub in the top in which you could store some ice....

This is the front or looking at it from the front. Below it is laid on it's back and the doors placed in place. I hear there is a surprise with those...stay tuned!
This is the side view. I have to show this because I left Saturday morning to run to town, I was gone almost 5 hours, when I came back I initially could not see all that had been done, so I will help you. The top (which we didn't take a picture of had to be cut out to allow access to the tub and he put the top on. Look closely you can see the joint. The opening is all rounded and smooth (he assured me he had done A LOT of sanding). Also this little box has to fit inside the back of the truck. He had to custom cut the large notch for the wheel well and the little notch for the bracket above. They fit very nicely!

Here is the back before placing the cabinet.
See how nice that all fits in, so all his time was well worth it. (I knew that anyway...just wondered what he had done....). The seat will come back, but does not touch the cabinet at all.A close-up. There is also a lid that goes on top, that took some time also to make it fit to the opening.
The other day he put the back windows in place. The back doors are completely finished. The windows mounted from the inside, and then another moulding was placed over them to hold them in place, and then screwed to the door.
A close-up of the details...I love the maple wood!
So there was a crisis on Saturday night. Apparently some metals can't be bent! Uh, that was learned the hard way, and although I think he really knew it, he was just going to bend it a bit. Yeah, it didn't work and he broke one of the hinges for the tailgate. All is well, another will be ordered. The tailgate is an added feature to this particular vehicle. Seems they didn't have these originally but Grandpa wanted one so he had somewhere to put his stuff when you were traveling...a place to cook from mainly. She is moving right along, the list is being marked off and slowly it is being finished up. They even have her farewell date in place!

1 comment:

  1. So when is the Farewell date??? I just love it all-I hope to see it in person one day!

    ReplyDelete